31 May 2014 OBX Paddle Palooza
Region 6 – Mid-East, WPA Only Sanctioned Event
Registration information and event details can be found at the official website here: http://obxpaddlepalooza.com
OBX Paddle Palooza is a Festival Weekend that celebrates the fun, healthy, family oriented activity that we all love so much: SUP. Mark your calendars for May 30 – June 1, 2014!
Proceeds will go to the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad
Who: Whether it’s your first time paddling a standup board, or you’re a seasoned race pro, anyone can join the fun! We’ll have race divisions to keep the playing field even, and lots of fun events for those a bit less competitive.
Cape Hatteras is part of a pristine string of barrier islands which jut off the coast of North Carolina. It was the nation’s very first National Seashore. Hatteras Island is about 70 miles long, but you can hit a golf ball clear across the width of much of this skinny strip of sand. Miles and miles of wide open, raw, natural, exposed beaches have kept Cape Hatteras unique, and in 2010 Dr. Beach ranked it the 4th best beach in America!
OBX Paddle Palooza will be held at Frisco Woods Campground. This beautiful, wooded campground offers plenty of lodging choices, ranging from primitive tent sites and RV sites with AC and water hookup, to small cabins if you prefer a solid roof over your head. Frisco Woods boasts plenty of other amenities, including a general store and even a swimming pool for those less adventurous. The campground’s location, directly on the Pamlico Sound, offers unmatched access to almost 2000 square miles of warm, shallow, wide open water- perfect for racing and touring on a SUP!
Friday, May 30th, 2014:
- 5PM– On-Site Registration Starts
- Meet and Greet
- Sunset Paddle
Saturday, May 31st, 2014:
- WPA Sanctioned SUP Races- Skipper’s Meeting at 9:15am, first possible start at 10:00 am!
- Awards Ceremony with lots of prizes- following races
- NC Pig Pickin’ Bar-B-Que Dinner- 7 pm
- Raffle after dinner
- After Party with Live Music
Sunday, June 1st, 2014:
- SUP Yoga- 9 am– Stretch out those sore muscles from the previous day’s racing, with instructor Amy Klauser! Meet at the Pavilion.
- Beginner Paddle Clinic 10:30am.
- Product Demos 10am-1pm– try out the latest boards and paddles from your favorite brands!
- Field Day Fun and Games 11-12 pm– including Team Relays, Tug of War, 3 Legged Races, and More!
- Ocean Expression Session- Catch some waves in the Atlantic Ocean! Location depends on the conditions of the day. Keep an eye on the Facebook page for updates.
- All Sunday events are a suggested $5 donation to the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad.