September 20 & 21, 2013
Westin Lake Las Vegas
Hennessey’s Inc. and the World Paddle Association (WPA) are proud to announce the 2013 World Paddle Championships to be held at the Westin Lake Las Vegas, NV on September 20 & 21, 2013. Lake Las Vegas, in the city of Henderson is a picturesque man-made lake next to the mountains 20 minutes east of the Las Vegas strip that has 10 miles of shore line that will host the world’s best stand up and paddleboard athletes vying for World Championship status.
Event Qualifying Update
No pre-qualifying required to enter the 2013 Hennessey’s-WPA World Paddle Championships for the following races to be conducted:
- Open Race (3.5 miles)- Men/Women SUP Surfboard, 12’6, 14’ and paddleboard stock.
- Pro Long Course (8.5 miles)- Men SUP Unlimited, Paddleboard Unlimited and Men/Women Stock Paddleboard.
- SUP Slalom Race- Men 14’ only and Women 12’6 only, qualifying races (3 miles double elimination) and one final race 4.5 miles.
Given the unique stadium amphitheater the Westin lagoon provides competitors will NOT need to pre qualify to enter this year’s race as there will be multi-lap qualifying races that all competitors need to participate in the SUP Slalom race. Men will compete on 14’ boards and Women will compete on 12’6” boards. The Open race (SUP Surf, 12’6 & 14’ board classes) and the Pro Long course with Paddleboard Stock & ULT and SUP Unlimited races will not need qualifying races given the course format. See the course maps (courses are subject to change).
Please find the following 2013 World Paddle Championship information including travel, hotel and registration for all participants. All participants will enjoy inclusion with clinics, races, welcome party, awards party, transfers and event discounts.
Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
101 Montelago Boulevard • Henderson, Nevada, 89011 | Ph: 702.567.6000
WPA Discount Booking Code: World Paddle Championship (OR copy and paste the following link into a web browser) https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1308139407&key=67ECC
- Deluxe Guest room Double occupancy $129.99 USD per room, per night plus $10.00 resort fee. (savings of $26.00 per night with resort fee)
- Welcome Party
- Awards party transportation
- Access to the resort
- Board Storage
Competitors not staying at the hotel will get resort access to the Welcome Party and day of race.
Click on the following link that will give you access to book your room at the WPA event discount rate:
World Paddle Championship (OR copy and paste the following link into a web browser)
*Non hotel guests will be required to pay a resort fee to access the Pool and Beach areas.
Southwest Airlines®— World Paddle Association’s Official Airline
Starting August 15, 2013, World Paddle Association attendees will receive a discount and bonus Rapid Reward points from Southwest Airlines through the World Paddle Association SWABIZ® account. Southwest Airlines is offering a 5% discount off Anytime & Business Select® fares and a 2% discount off select Wanna Get Away® fares for travel to and from the event in Las Vegas. Book your travel between August 15th & September 6th to take advantage of the discounted rates. (Discounts available for travel September 17th through September 24th).
By flying Southwest Airlines, you will also receive the following benefits:
- 25% bonus Rapid Reward points for your travel to & from the convention with Rapid Rewards # added to your reservation. (To enroll in the Rapid Rewards program, visit www.southwest.com/corporaterapidrewards)
- No baggage fees (first two bags)
- No change or cancellation fees
- No peak travel or fuel surcharges
- Consistently ranked the “Best in Customer Service” by DOT
To take advantage of this offer, click on this link:
Board & Equipment Shipping
Board transportation will be provided for all registered competitors from the Dana Point, CA area to the Westin Lake Las Vegas only. Rates are per board with other equipment that can be included in the board bag and reservations are required by September 7th or as space is available.
- $50 round trip (Dana Point area to Westin Lake Las Vegas and back only)
- $35 one-way
- Payment must be made upon booking:
Truck will leave to the Westin Lake Las Vegas by Tuesday, September 17th and arrive on by Wednesday, September 18th.
Drop off and Pick up location: 32921 Calle Perfecto, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675 or call 949-285-2668.
All boards should be in a board bag packed for safety and with your name clearly marked. All boards will be at the Board Storage area on the North East end of the Westin Property for pick up and drop off when you arrive and before you depart. Board Storage closes at 6pm each night. Truck will leave by 11am on Sunday, September 22nd and you can pick up your board in San Juan Capistrano, CA on Monday, September 23 at 9am to 5:30pm.
Board rentals will be available for the event as follows:
- SUP Surfboard- $125.00
- SUP Race 12’6 & 14’- $175.00
Board rental fee can be applied toward the purchase of the rental board. A credit card damage deposit of $250 will be held on each rental board. Damages to any board will be taken from the deposit as needed.
Sign up for Events on www.paddleguru.com/races , select “2013 Hennessey’s-WPA World Championships”. Registration will cut off on Thursday, September 19th at 12am. All entries after September 19th will incur a $50.00 late fee for all races (except the relay races).
- Open Race (3.5 miles): $75.00 per competitor
- Pro Long Course (8.5 miles): $130.00 per competitor
- SUP Slalom Race (4.5 mile Final): $130.00 per competitor
- Pro Relay Race: $100.00 per 4 person team
- Open Relay Race: $60.00 per 4 person team (non Pro athletes)
Entry Fee INCLUDES (except relay race):
- Welcome party
- Awards Party
- Goodie Bag
- Resort Access to Welcome Party and Beach on race day (Hotel guests receive full access all days)
- Board Storage
- Awards/Prizes for age divisions- 17u, 18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+
- Prize money awarded to first across the line by board class and gender in Pro Long Course, SUP Slalom and Pro Relay races only. (age groups winners receive medals)
Non-competitors and Non-Hotel guests will have access to the hotel and terrace patio (view of race courses) at no charge. If you want access and to use the Pool and Beach area you will need to purchase a card for $10.00 per person per day (all hotel guest pay the same resort fee). Kids are free when accompanied by an adult.
- 3 Men/1 female per team minimum
- Open relay race competitors not to have competed in the Long course SUP or SUP Slalom races.
Awards party Transportation (must be a registered guest at the Westin)
- Reservations are strongly recommended or arrive early for transportation from the Westin Lake Las Vegas to the Awards Party at Hennessey’s/Downtown.
- Buses will depart at 4:00pm and every 30 minutes up to 6:30pm and return starting at 9pm and after 10pm every 30 minutes to 12am back to the Westin Hotel only (no other stops).
Pro Race Division Prize Money
|Pro SUP Slalom|
|Place||Men 14||Wom 12’6|
|Men||Men ULT||Men Stk||Wom Stk||Pro Relay|
FRIDAY, September 20th
7am: Board Storage opens
12pm – 6pm: Registration/Check-In, Hotel Pool area
10am – 4pm: SUP clinics/Demos at the Westin Lake Las Vegas
4pm: Kids Races, 8u and 9-12 yrs old
6pm Board Storage closes
5pm – 8pm: Welcome Party/Registration/Check-In, Hotel Pool deck
SATURDAY, September 21st
7am: Board Storage opens
7am – 9:30am: Registration/check-in, Hotel Pool area
8:45 am: Pro SUP Slalom Paddlers meeting
9am: Men/Women SUP Slalom qualifying- Heat 1 & 2 (3 minute interval)
9:30 am: Pro Long Course & Open Race Paddlers Meeting
9:45am: Pro Long Course Race START
9:50am: Open Race START
11:00am: Men Pro SUP Slalom- Last Chance Qualifier
1:00pm: Men/Women Pro SUP Slalom Final
2:30pm: Relay Races (Open & Pro)
4:00pm: First bus to Awards Party (every 30 minutes to 6:30pm last bus)
6:00pm: Cocktail reception- Hennessey’s Downtown
6pm: Board Storage closes
7:00pm: Dinner- Hennessey’s Downtown
7:30pm: Awards- Hennessey’s Downtown
9:00pm: First bus to Westin Hotel (next bus at 10pm and every 30 minutes to 12am)
SUNDAY, September 22nd
7am: Board Storage opens
8am: Boards loaded on truck to California
11am: Truck departs for California
For more information please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org